A. Distribution of Keys
Master facility keys will be distributed by the Manager of Building and Grounds for the District. Only those staff
members who are responsible for the operation of a particular space shall receive a key. Each of those staff
members are responsible for limiting further distribution only to those persons who have established a definite
need for keys in order to fulfill their assignments.
In general, staff members shall be provided only the key to the space(s) they use and to other areas in which
they have a legitimate responsibility. The Manager of Buildings and Grounds will maintain a file of master keys.
Any unauthorized person found to have a master key or a duplicate in his/her possession shall be held in
violation of this guideline.
In order to be properly protected against theft:
1. Staff members are expected to obtain room, desk, and closet keys from the school office at the
beginning of the school term;
2. No money or valuables are to be left in the room;
3. At no time shall students be given keys for their use;
4. Staff members must keep possession of their keys;
5. Staff members should secure valuables at all times;
6. Prior to leaving school each day, staff members must close windows and lock doors to their rooms;
7. Staff members are responsible for the equipment and supplies in their classrooms or offices. Should
any items "disappear", the principal must be notified immediately;
8. All interior/exterior building keys are duplicated by the Buildings and Grounds Department utilizing a
standard work request form.
C. Use of Video Surveillance Equipment
1. The Manager of Building and Grounds is responsible for installing and maintaining video cameras for
twenty-four (24) hour surveillance in the following areas:
2. The Manager of Building and Grounds is also responsible for establishing and maintaining signs in
locations near the cameras so that staff, students, and visitors are aware of these devices,
particularly in areas where there is reasonable expectation of privacy such as lavatories.
3. Any disciplinary action against a student or staff member resulting from evidence garnered from the
tapes will be in accordance with the procedures described in the student handbooks or in a
D. Central Alarm System
Each staff member shall be provided the appropriate entry and exit procedures when s/he receives
authorization to enter District facilities when the facilities are closed. A list of authorized persons is to be
maintained by the Manager of Buildings and Grounds.
Approved/Adopted: July 13, 2009